Hi everyone. Its been a while, huh? I've definitely neglected my blog a lot since, well, August 2016, really. I might explain why I've been neglecting this in another post. But, on to today!
So, yeah, I'm angry. I'm scared, I'm upset and I'm angry. I'm not going to say why, because I'm sure you can guess. I'm sure you heard about the #WomensMarch a few weeks ago. I wanted to talk about this because whenever I tried to talk about this at home, my brother and my dad would always be saying things at me against the idea of it. They'd say it was stupid and sexist and pointless and just a load of angry women. My parents follow me on Twitter and seen I'd retweeted a couple of tweets about the #WomensMarch. My Dad told me not to post stuff online about "things like that" because people might think things about me or something stupid, I don't really know, I usually "switch off" when I smell ignorance in the air - no offence Dad, if you're reading this, you're just uneducated, I'm here to educate you, don't worry, love you xxxx
Okey dokey karaoke, I wanted to write a list about all the reasons I am a feminist and all the reasons I believe in feminism for the people out there, like my Dad, who don't really understand it/want to understand it and for all the people who want to educate themselves on feminism a bit more. Let us begin!
- Quite simply, I believe in equality of all the genders, non-gender people, all races and sexualities
- Because if I was a man writing this, my male friends would laugh at me
- Because gender roles are just plain stupid
- Because I've learnt more about great women from history more through Google doodles than my text books
- Because people still see breastfeeding as disgusting/sexual/not for public places
- Because hair removal for men is optional but expected of women
- Because female body hair is so forbidden that in adverts the actress is shaving an bald leg
- Because cat-calling isn't a compliment
- Because people still feel the need to say "I'm not a feminist, but..."
- Because people are more concerned with why women stay in abusive relationships rather than why men are abusing women
- Because people still use 'like a girl' as an insult
- Because girls can't have a genuine interest in anything without being ridiculed for it:
- Because the word 'feminazi' exists
- Because 85 million to 114 million women and girls have undergone female genital mutilation worldwide; each year an estimated 2 million more girls suffer the practice in Africa, Asia or as immigrants or refugees in Europe and North America
- Because in the USA, 25% of women and 11% of men are victims of domestic violence
- Because people still think that men can't be victims of domestic violence
- Because people still think that men can't get raped
- Because the Governments can afford to pay to give men free condoms but not to give women free sanitary products - sex is a lot easier to refrain from than periods, don't you think?
- Because men are told to suppress their feelings and emotions, leading suicide to being the biggest killer to men under 45
- Because men showing their feelings and emotions is seen as "weak" or "girly"
- Because 1/4 of women in society will be assaulted but people still feel the need to ask how she was dressed
- Because periods are still seen as a taboo
- Because I'm pretty sure that most of the boys in my school don't really understand what a period is and how it affects a person who has them - I'm in year 10 btw
- Because businesses use boobs to sell basically everything
- Because half of the girls in Yemen will become child brides
- Because 77% of anti-abortion leaders are men and, I can assure you on this one, they will 100% never get pregnant
- Because female representation matters - women of all backgrounds, races, religions and sexualities
- Because a women is raped every 14 seconds in South Africa
- Because there are 2 million victims of sex trafficking each year, 85% of which are women
- Because women in Saudi Arabia still can't vote or drive
- Because girls are still expected to want "her prince charming" and "the perfect wedding" from the day she is born
- Because if I type the word "vagina" on here then people will either laugh or be disgusted - oh, whoops
- Because people still see stretch marks as disgusting - particularly, men. Sooo, BOY, just think about how many stretch marks you gave your mother when she carried you around her womb for 9 months
- Because being drunk is an excuse for anything that men do, but for women, it excuses anything done to them
- "The Friend Zone" - when men think they are entitled to something (usually sex/sexual activities) from women because they were nice to them
- Because girls (in America especially) get sent home from school/get sanctions if their shoulders/bra straps are visible, as they are 'distractions for the boys and could harm their education'
- Because girls in more developed countries don't think they need feminism as they aren't oppressed
- Because girls are mocked for any interest they have
- Because, quite frankly, I don't see why women are seen as inferior to men
- Because my Dad will probably laugh at me for writing this blog post
Parle bientot et Je t'aime,